The New York Adventures of the Real Winnie-the-Pooh
In 1921, as a first-birthday present, Christopher Robin Milne received a small stuffed bear, which had been purchased at Harrods in London. Eeyore, Piglet, Kanga, and Tigger soon joined Winnie-the-Pooh as Christopher's playmates and the inspiration for the children's classics When We Were Very Young (1924), Winnie-the-Pooh (1926), Now We Are Six (1927), and The House at Pooh Corner (1928), written by his father, A.A. Milne, and illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard. Brought to the United States in 1947, the toys remained with the American publisher E.P. Dutton until 1987, when they were donated to The New York Public Library. For years thousands of children and adults from around the world have come to visit Pooh and his friends, and they are all now happily ensconced in the Children's Center at 42nd Street, their beautiful new home in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street.
Winnie-the-Pooh, Kanga, Piglet, Eeyore, and Tigger. The original stuffed animals that were given to Christopher Robin Milne when he was a little boy, ca. 1920s.
The New York Public Library, Children's Center at 42nd Street.
More Images of Winnie-the-Pooh and His Friends
The Adventures of the REAL Winnie-the-Pooh
About the Children's Center at 42nd Street