Delmonico's was the city's first luxury-restaurant empire. It began as a cafe and pastry shop on William Street in 1827, but in the course of the next few decades expanded to include lavish French restaurants at carefully selected locations. The Delmonico's at Beaver Street, in the financial district, drew businessmen happy to settle their deals over tournedos of beef, canvasback duck, and an array of distinguished wines. The very name Delmonico's was famous throughout New York as a symbol of excellence--so much so that Mon Lay Won, a Chinese restaurant on Pell Street, called itself "The Chinese Delmonico" in hopes of attracting non-Chinese customers. The menu included genuine Chinese specialties, but many westerners would have found the chop suey quite daring enough.