NYPL Exhibitions

Brochure for the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House

Dublin Core

Title Brochure for the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House
Description One of the most important civic initiatives of the Progressive Era was launched in the 1880s when reformers and philanthropists began opening settlement houses in New York's poorest neighborhoods. These social-service centers offered recent immigrants a wide range of resources including English lessons, job training, children's activities, even sports and theater groups. Jacob Riis joined with an organization of Episcopalian churchwomen to establish such a center: the King's Daughters Settlement House, which opened on Henry Street in 1888. Thirteen years later it was renamed—after Riis himself—and the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House has been active ever since. In 1950 it moved to its current location in Queens.
Source Manuscripts and Archives Division
Date ca. 1910

Bibliographic Citation

“Brochure for the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House,” Lunch Hour NYC, accessed December 11, 2017, http://exhibitions.nypl.org/lunchhour/items/show/443.

Download item info as...